Friday, September 11, 2009

29er or Bust

Its official, I no longer own anything that has to do with road cycling.  I just sold my Bianchi steel bike complete with Campy Record.  I also got rid of all my extra parts (bottle cages, pedals, etc). I really have no desire to do it anymore.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, the road scene around here sucks now and its just not fun anymore.   I have much more fun in the woods (I can see Greg shaking his head now and saying "I told you so").  And since I really plan on not road biking again I have shifted all of my two wheel efforts into the mountain.   This gets me to where I am today and the dillema I face.  

I called Scooby the other day and asked some questions regarding the whole 29'er craze.  He answered like I thought he might.  It's hard to get an answer from someone who thinks every other bikes sucks except Specialized..LOL...just giving you a hard time Alan!!  But seriously I am intrigued with the whole idea of the 29'er.  I can't lie anymore but I have been riding here lately.  I've been to Warriors a few times and ETSU a few times hitting the trails.  I'm getting my strength and endurance back slowly but surely.   The one thing that I have noticed while on the Chameleon is the lack of being able to just "roll" over things.  I keep hearing that with a 29'er you make roots, smaller logs, and rock gardens look easy.  That's what I need.   I think the only thing holding me back is having to shell out money for not just a frameset but a new fork and a new set of wheels.   I will continue to do some more research and hopefully I will have an epiphany of some sorts.  Any input is appreciated...so bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. First thing, I like the road and I have a road bike but, I will always choose the dirt over road.
    Second thing, 29'ers vs 26'er. There are folks who will tell you 29 is the way to go and there are folks who will say 29 sucks. I think it's a personal preference, as for Alan he stands behind what ever he's riding at the time and there is nothing better but that changes on a monthly basis. If you want to try a 29er give me a shout like you've been saying your going to and we'll go ride. I've got 2 and would be happy to let you try one out.

    ReplyDelete